Friday, May 28, 2010

Last Lost post

Sorry, non-Losties, one last post. OK, after ruminating a bit, I'm ready to give a reaction to the Lost finale. Interesting (and not surprisingly for die-hard Losties), I found myself viewing the show on two levels. Emotionally, I found it most enjoyable and satisfying. The on-island plot was tied up nicely. The FSW plot was syrupy sweet, with most everybody we care about getting together in the end and fading off into bliss together: I loved it! And most of the questions were answered. Intellectually, the on-island story wasn't far from what I had predicted. I just knew Jack would not be the ultimate protector (I can't lie though: I thought it would be Aaron.) Having it turn out to be Hurley was fitting. I wasn't thrilled with the way Kate, Frank (Told you he wasn't dead!), Miles, Richard (Cool that he's got a grey hair now), Sawyer, and Claire left, leaving Jack and Hurley to fend for themselves. As for the FSW plot ending, I sure didn't see that coming. I like the idea that THAT was a sort of purgatory, since many fans were convinced the ISLAND was going to turn out to be purgatory. I was troubled by the fact that the two story lines ended up having very little to do with each other. I was hoping for some interaction between them. And the explanation of who-was-allowed-to-be-at-the-church was not clear to me: mostly I think it was a matter of which characters were popular, and which actors they could get. That Ben declined to go was a juicy tidbit worthy of future discussion during the long cold days of No Lost ahead. And I actually find the idea that there is no "when" in purgatory fascinating, given recent ideas published about time.

If I were the King of Lost, here’s how I would have ended it. After Aaron is born, and our heroes become aware, Desmond, Widmore, and Daniel (and their counterparts on the Island) manage to merge the plotlines. But Aaron gets left behind. He is brought to the island by Eloise. He is protected and trained. Jack’s (or Hurley’s) reign is temporary, just till Aaron can take over. Aaron would seem the logical choice since both he and Jacob were conceived off the island, but born on it. I think the writers may have originally intended for something like that to happen: the whole “raised by another” issue, the psychic’s flip-flop, and the Others’ fascination with the inability of island women to bear children conceived on the Island. Enough for now.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's really taking me some time to process what happened. The first time I watched it, I was really angry and disappointed at the end, but I'm coming around. But I have to say I like your ending better. Did anyone see the alternate endings on Jimmy Kimmel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohno! Does this mean the end of the blog in its entirety, or just series-related posts? I miss chemistry... Sure hope you can muster up a few more topics. You write well, Doc.

    [had to be said] I'd be lost without your hometown updates...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were a ruse. The 'alternate endings' were all spoofs of other classic TV show finales--Newhart, the Sopranos, etc. I'm sure they're on youtube somewhere. But here's hoping there are some genuine ones on the season 6 DVD extras.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, John! Just "The End" of Lost posts (maybe, although I've been thinking about.... :) ) I will be sure to do some C'ville posts and some chemistry posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, have you watched "The End" again? Perhaps the enhanced version? I did, and I liked it even better the second time. It helps to watch the FSW knowing what it all means. I do have some questions though....

    ReplyDelete