Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hawaii Five-O

My second TV review. I decided to watch the pilot of Hawaii Five-O. Anybody care to guess why? Anyway, here’s my review. The story was non-existent: crime solved in two clues, bad guy found with little effort except a gun battle and car chase, bad guy dispatched in a fist fight and another gun fight. The rest of the story centered on McGarrett ridiculously being named to head a secret above-the-law paramilitary police unit, then equally ridiculously assembling his team. The banter between McGarrett and Danno was cute. The characters are cardboard (see previous post), except Danno, who is actually sympathetic. He’s a New Jersey cop who follows his ex-wife to Hawaii when she moves there with their daughter. The build-up to - and delivery of - McGarrett’s famous “Book him, Danno” was painful. At the end, the team is relaxing with some beers, and trying to come up with a name for their new team. It’ll probably be a hit.

3 comments:

  1. I saw a commercial for that show about a week ago and thought that that is the type of show I might turn on for the theme song and then immediately turn off. I have found that trying to return to tv drama after not watching it for a while is almost impossible. It just seems so terrible when you're not already into it. Anyway, good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping they bring back Magnum, PI next. However, I don't think any leading men working in Hollywood today have the 'stache to pull it off, except of course, Tom Selleck, but he's already committed to a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also commented previously on The Event post, but it did not actually post, it appears. Anyway, mstly I said it was ok, though parts of it are clearly ripped off from LOST (a plane "disappearing" through a rift in space/time caused by A BURST OF ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION. Please.) But I'll probably keep watching it at least for a while.

    ReplyDelete