Monday, June 6, 2011

More Cicada News

I decided to mow the yards this morning before it got TOO hot (only in the upper 80's as opposed to the upper 90's due this afternoon). Aphttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifparently the cicadas swarm in the morning, frantically looking for places to light and sing for a mate. So as I'm mowing over the mounds of rotting carcasses around the bases of the trees, the live ones are flying all around me, landing on my shirt, my bare legs, my neck, my forehead, my glasses (!) and my hair. When I knock them off, they fly away squealing like little pigs. So Dan, the joy of cicadas is actually tetra-sensory: sight/sound/smell/FEEL.

In fact I have heard that they are quite tasty as well, consisting of wholesome, high-quality protein and fat. I haven't eaten any myself, but I have heard and read that birds, fish and dogs and a few humans eat them readily. I haven't seen Jack eat any, nor have I seen evidence of it, so to speak.

Here's a nice link if you want to learn about the 13- vs 17-year cicadas and when and where each kind emerges.



It seems our Chicago friends aren't due for a great emergence of 17-year cicadas until 2024.

And finally, here's another clip which may give you an idea of the 6-second period they seem to use in their calling in the heat of the afternoon. (I believe there are actually two calls: the obvious high pitched ululations heard in the clip, and another steady, police-siren-like wail I've heard in some neighborhoods in town.)

3 comments:

  1. That's disgusting. I am, however, intrigued by the possibility of you teaming up with Sarah Mac for a post on a tasty cicada recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really disgusting. And sorry, no can do on the cicada recipe...I've been having major bug issues here with our infestation of marmorated stinkbugs (I'm so not making this up). Seriously, I've been having bug nightmares for months.

    Ew. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think bugs are neat. They're kind of like little aliens in that they're so different it's hard to imagine how they perceive the world.

    ReplyDelete