Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What I’m Reading Now, Part 2

I’m about half-way done dragging myself through A Wrinkle in Time. I’m not really enjoying it.

First of all, it’s aimed at teenagers, but that doesn’t mean it has to be juvenile. I mean really, the three mysterious beings are called Mrs. Whosit, Mrs. What and Mrs. Which. The evil being is a shadow called The Black Thing (also called IT). Secondly, it’s fantasy, which I only like if it’s funny, like the Xanth series, or extremely well-done, like the Lord of the Rings movies. I didn’t even like the LOTR novels (I know, that’s almost sacrilegious.)

I can see why the producers place a copy of a Wrinkle in Time on the island in Lost. It attempts to combine science (the tessaract, a sort of worm-hole) with magic. I’m still not sure if there are magical elements in Lost or not, but it certainly seems so at times. The show explicitly delineates a distinction between science and faith. Furthermore, A Wrinkle in Time deals with time travel, as the title suggests. And it has a number of religious allegorical references, as does Lost.

I can’t really see Sawyer liking it at all. I suppose if it were the only book on the island…

2 comments:

  1. Don't make too many judgments about Sawyer's personality too soon. He has perhaps the most impressive character arc of any over the course of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now he's reading Judy Bloome of all things! Wow!

    ReplyDelete