Sunday, October 18, 2009

Lost Rewatch

I'm starting Lost all over, because I was undergoing withdrawal. Watching the second time is an odd experience. Some of the charm is gone because half the fun is not knowing what will happen next, and of course now I do. On the other hand, it is fun to see the familiar characters develop, form their relationships and experience their lives on the island all over again.

I have just finished the first half of the pilot, and already I have noticed some things I didn't notice the first time. I hadn't remembered that Rose said about the tree-crushing monster the first night: "That sound that it made, I keep thinking that there was something really familiar about it." I wonder if that has any significance. And now I'm not so sure that that monster is the same as the smoke monster we meet later. And why would it have killed the pilot so quickly?

It's also fun to compare incidents with what we now know to be significant about them from later episodes. For example in the first episode, Jack tells Kate the famous story about overcoming his fear during his first spinal surgery. What he doesn't tell her is that it was his father who gave him the idea, which we only find out in a flashback in season 5.

Did the monster kill the pilot because Jacob had no use for him? If so, why not any of the rest?

This is going to be fun! (And no spoilers possible, so we can discuss it in as much detail as we want!)

1 comment:

  1. I definitely know that withdrawal feeling! The second (and third...and fourth...) times I watched each season were each very different, and something different came out of each of them.

    Enjoy... :)

    ReplyDelete